"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different?"
~ C.S. Lewis
A new year, a new start, right? Isn't that what they all say? I vow to hit up the gym more, to procrastinate less, to start living my life in a new light, et ceterea, et cetera, et cetera. (The King and I reference, anyone?) Okay. You've made the resolutions, you've signed up for a gym membership, you've downloaded twenty apps, all of which will provide you with equally corny quotes throughout the day... only to return to your previous pattern of life. I was watching my neighbors set out their Christmas lights, and realized that if anything, this is much more of a reverse process when applied to them. (Yes. It's called aging. I am aware.)
{Human Prunes}
But this isn't just aging - this is the gradual decomposition of the human body and mind, where the final product isn't quite a skeleton - more of a human prune. The skin remains intact and wrinkly, the body retains its prominent flavor, yet the life seems to dry out and expel itself into the surroundings. (Which is kinda neat if you're into that sort of thing, I suppose, but I prefer to keep my energy intact, thank you very much.)
{Ice Storm + Weather PMS}
One thing that never fails to amuse me is the weather. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised this winter if we get a massive amount of snow (but I really hope we don’t), because in comparison to what we had last year, it would be a piece of cake. I can still remember the preceding winter quite vividly, because frankly, if you had to experience it like I did, it is definitely not something you can forget that easily. In a nutshell, what had happened was that overnight, some black magic, voodoo stuff happened and we awoke to about 2 inches of ice, covering everything. This horrifyingly beautiful catastrophe a.k.a. The Polar Vortex (on a side note: no one still knows what that is and it’s been a year) granted some alluring scenery and unforgettable pictures.
 |
| Dangerously beautiful |
 |
| As the sun rises high up in the afternoon sky, the branches bow down |
 |
| The bus shelter has fallen under Mother Nature's wrath |
 |
| One of many branches completely engulfed by crystalline ice |
 |
| All the plants seem to be frozen in their wake, unwavering beauty under the Sun's radiance |
 |
| What's winter without a little bit of icicles? |
 |
| Even the light of the stars dance on the glittering surface of the ice covering everything within a 10 km radius (if not more) |
{New York}
Around mid-April of this year, I visited New York. Despite being 'The City that Never Sleeps', the city did sleep beforehand, and awoke from its prolonged period of dormancy to bring life back to its streets. Spring, in general, is a charming concept, but when applied to New York it sets a true example. Runners making their way through Central Park begin to wear shorter shorts, people strolling through the streets begin to strip layers, and the scenery unfolds such that even corners lacking in plant-life possess a radiant glow.
 |
| The East end of New York |
 |
| Central Park, behind the statue of Alice in Wonderland - these blooms spread like a blanket over the city at this time of year |
 |
| The exit of Central Park |
 |
| Just a little corner a short distance from Times Square |
 |
| If a worn screen protector is a sign of frequent travel, I might be doing it right |
 |
| A little statue underneath a fountain right behind the NYC Public Library |
 |
| It wouldn't be New York without the perpetual presence of taxicabs and bicycles on the streets... |
Even in the midst of this seemingly industrial city, one can find an abundance of fruit stands and local street vendors
Despite my preference to stay away from the tourist experience (as a general rule), Times Square at night is an essential stop
Albeit the need to travel diversely, I continue to believe that diversity in New York alone is approaching infinite. Take me back.
{Montreal}
We are always fascinated by what’s foreign to us. Take that anyway you like, but this truthful, yet slightly sinful statement is the underlying silver lining to just about every desire you’ve ever had. The captivating thing about Montreal is its rich European-style culture and because that’s what is foreign to me, I take great interest in it. I must add that the whole budding spring is a great look on Montreal as tourists from around the world stroll the streets in the mild post winter air, and not to mention that the best Dim Sum restaurant resides in the heart of this old-world preservation of history at its best.
 |
| McGill Campus looking onto Main Street |
 |
| McGill Faculty of Science featuring sneaky vines crawling up the sides of the building |
 |
| Nothing like rich culture and cobblestone roads |
.jpeg) |
| Trees in bloom by the river |
 |
| Looking at things from a different perspective |
 |
| Possibly (just possibly) the best dim sum ever! |
 |
| A little spiritual visit to the temple |
 |
| We can all find peace and serenity in ourselves, you just have to know where to look |
There will always be things in the world that you can never get enough of, never satisfy that lust you have for it. Whatever that may be, I wish you luck in hopes of seeking it once again and filling that void after spending time away. Montreal, I'm coming back for you as soon as I can.